Thursday, February 18

Life with a 2.8 Year Old

Cooper has certainly been testing his boundaries, limits, authority, chain of command, charm, and attitude these days. We truly appreciate his found sense of "I do it all by myself" and are slowly learning not to try and help until we are asked to help, but that lesson has not come easy. I can not even so much as start to open the yogurt container without him stopping us to make sure I know to only start it off for him so he can do it all the way.

We have also been amazed at how Cooper talks to us about book, t.v., or movie characters as if they are in our everyday life. Patrick decided to test this little creative memory he has. Patrick and Cooper have been "studying the U.S. Presidents"- the lessons started this past weekend. He learns one new one each night. Currently he is up to James Monroe- do you know what number he was? Each of the grandparents got a phone call over the past week with Cooper reciting from memory/pictures with no assistance the Presidents he had learned so far. I think Patrick's memory is being jogged a little and doing a little re-learning along the way. It is truly incredible to witness his growing pride and excitement.

Cooper's other favorite past-time is coloring. If it is oddly quiet and I call out Cooper's name he says, Mom I upstairs coloring with my crayons or he brings them in to the kitchen to sit quietly and draw for me while I might be cooking or cleaning. He has definitely always enjoyed crafts, but just really getting to a sit down and concentrate for a while stage.

Oh yes, thought I might add his quote of the weekend from Cooper's 2.8 year old mouth: "Be quiet, you going to drive me crazy today". Can't remember exactly if it was directed to Carter or one of us, but it was so hilarious. He is still my little sweet sweet love bug, just getting smarter and learning about real life every day.

Short story: The other night the neighbor, who has no children but knows our boys very well, stopped by to grab a recipe from me. I seriously think her jaw was on the floor the entire 15 or so minutes she and I were trying to have a conversation. The boys were LITERALLY running circles around her and saying Ms Nikki watch, Ms Nikki will you come upstairs and color with me, Ms Nikki Ms Nikki Ms Nikki. She could only say "Wow, I have not really seen them in a while, they have gotten so big". I would love to know what she went home and said to Chris, and almost worried about it embarrassingly for a few minutes before I just decided to laugh. HAHAHAHA I think that is a perfect example of why I have not called or emailed or blogged many people over the past month or so..........................................whew I am pooped and by the time I am done giggling and convincing Cooper to go to sleep for the 11th time, my brain has absolutely nothing left.

1 comment:

Cata said...

Oh God Steph! I had to laugh so hard at this! Especially the last part. Awesome! you and I are in the exact same place. If I finish exhausted, I can't imagine you with two boys! Sophia is ALL OVER THE PLACE. From 6:45 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The energy of the energizer bunny. And talks like there's no tomorrow. Plus, I have to play, dance, and do everything WITH her... God, they are a true test from life. But a wonderful at that! We hope to see you this year. We are hoping to take a trip to Savannah finally. We'll let you know!